Caroline's Spring Quiche

Caroline's Spring Quiche



Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who asked me to share more vegetarian recipes. I aim to please, so today I am sharing my recipe for a delicious vegetarian quiche. This is my go-to recipe when I have no inspiration. This quiche is healthy, colourful and easy to make. And… if my eldest son Luca sees me making this quiche he is always super pleased because its one of his favorite dishes. I always make two of them because one is not enough for my hungry boys.

The classic French Quiche actually originated in Germany, in the medieval kingdom of Lothringen, which was under German rule.  (Renamed Lorraine when it came under French control). Quiche lorraine is a popular variant that was originally an open pie with a filling of custard with lardons. Modern preparations of the dish usually include mature cheese and freshly-cooked bacon as ingredients. This version is vegetarian! Helena, Pia and other carnivores, you can add bacon to this dish.

My friend Shannon thought I should try to give this quiche a Dutch twist by creating tulips with the vegetables ๐Ÿ˜Š my husband thought my creation looked like boats so I think I failed.๐Ÿ˜

Note: the quiche can be served hot or cold, and you can omit any of the below vegetables or in fact use more of them. You can use the same basic recipe with grilled aubergine instead of leek!

2nd Note: If you have leftover puff pastry, just add some cheese, fold and press the edges together and leave in the oven for about 10 minutes. These little cheese turnovers are a big hit with my 5 yr old.

Ingredients



  • 1 leek thinly sliced
  • 1/2 half bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 half courgette, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  •  2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 3 large eggs

INSTRUCTIONS

Transfer the puff pastry to a 9-inch-diameter glass or ceramic pie dish, either lined with parchment paper or ….. Fold the overhanging dough inward and lightly press, so that it is more or less the same thickness around the pie dish and forms a uniform edge. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.

Clean the leeks well under cold running water. Trim and discard about 2 inches of the green tops, thinly slice the rest, and let drain. In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil. Add the  onions and garlic and stir for a few minutes. Add the leeks, bell pepper and courgette, season well with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the leeks and the onions are soft and caramelized.

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the eggs, and add the vegetable mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the puff pastry. Bake for about 30/40 minutes, or, until the crust is deep golden and the filling feels firm around the edges. It should look well puffed and lightly browned.



Bon Appetit,

Caroline

You can  also follow us on Instagram and Pinterest 

Comments

  1. Great to have this recipe. I’m gonna have to make quiche now, bcuz Emilio told me he really likes them! So excited he likes something new and different. Plus I’ll keep it vegetarian bcuz he prefers veggies most days. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love quiche! Looks so yummy!! Had no idea it originated from Germany! ๐Ÿ™Œ I love the original the quiche Lorraine, but two of my favorites are mushroom quiche or spinach feta quiche. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment