Russian Beef Stroganoff



My husband invited our Russian friends (from Siberia!) over for dinner this weekend and I decided to treat them to the best Russian Beef Stroganoff they’ve ever tasted. You might think I was setting myself up for a major disaster by trying to show a Russian diplomat family how do make one of the most typical dishes from their homeland… But no! They absolutely loved it! Why? Because I used the greatest recipe, which my sister sent to me a few years ago, from the legendary Russian Tea Room in New York City. 

For those of you who don’t know, the Russian Tea Room was opened in 1927, by former members of the Russian Imperial Ballet, as a gathering place for Russian expatriates and became famous as a gathering place for those in the entertainment industry. This was a favoured dining place of notable people such as Ayn Rand, Rowan Atkinson, Mel Brooks, Henry Kissinger and Jackie Onassis.

Beef Stroganoff, named after one of the members of the influential Stroganov family, is a Russian dish of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce of “smetana” (sour cream). From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, it has become popular around the world, with considerable variation from the original recipe. I have tried many versions in many different countries, but this recipe (with a few personal tweaks) that I’m about to share with you is my favourite. 

Bon Appétit! Or… Приятного аппетита (Priyatnogo Appetita!) as the Russians say. 💗Helena

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs (approx. 1 kg) of nice, tender beef
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard (or 1 teaspoon mustard powder)
  • 1 beef bouillon cube, chopped (optional, my sister's tweak which I follow)
  • ½ cup (1.25 dl) dry, white wine (I use Port wine, my sister suggests Cognac, but I never have that at home)
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional, but I always add it)
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion
  • ½ lb (approx. 230g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons dry, white wine (I use Port wine, my sister suggests Cognac, but I never have that at home)
  • 1 cup (2 ½ dl) sour cream, warmed




Directions:

  1. Cut beef into thin strips (or ½ inch thick slices). Sprinkle it with salt and pepper, let stand for 15 minutes.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan large enough to hold everything. Add sliced onion, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

  3. Add meat to pan and cook for 3 minutes, turning meat to brown evenly.



  4. Stir in flour, mustard and bouillon cube, and cook 1 minute more.
  5. Add ½ cup wine and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

  6. In another frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced onion and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes.

  7. Add 2 tablespoons of wine and cook 2 minutes more. 
  8. Add mushroom mixture to beef mixture. Check seasonings and add warmed sour cream.



  9. Over lowest possible heat, simmer for 5 minutes to heat through. Do NOT let it boil.

  10. Serve over hot rice with a green vegetable, such as steamed broccoli, on the side.

Comments