Swedish Sliced Chocolate Cookies



I couldn't keep you in suspense any longer! I had to share with you my choice for SWEDISH COOKIE NUMBER 2 from the "Seven Kinds of Cookies" platter. OK, I admit, it's because I was really craving them myself (and my husband too for that matter!). And for sure my boys will also be very happy to see a plate of these when they get home from school today, if there are any left by then of course... 😁

This cookie's official name in Swedish is "Märtas Skurna Chokladkakor", which directly translates to "Martha's Sliced Chocolate Cookies". I have no idea who this Märta was, and no one else on the Internet seems to know either, but it is one of the recipes that's included in the famous Swedish 1940s dessert recipe book Sju Sorters Kakor (Seven Kinds of Cookies).

It is a very classic Swedish cookie recipe, and so simple and quick to make. It's also one of the types of cookies that my grandma Elisabeth (or Lisa, as was her nickname) would make all the time. She was the best baker ever. ✨ 😍

I hope you make them and enjoy them as much as I do. 🍪 🍪🍪

💗Helena

Ingredients (Approx. 40 cookies):

  • 100 g unsalted butter
  • 1 dl (100 ml) sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2.5 dl (250 ml) flour
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Egg brushing: 1 egg white
  • Topping: Pearl sugar 


Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C on the convection setting.
  2. Mix all ingredients into a dough. Mix the dry ingredients first and then add the wet ingredients. You can do it by hand or in a food processor. 



  3. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. 



  4. Roll out each ball into 3 long cylinder shaped sticks (finger thick) and put them on a baking tray with parchment paper. Make sure there is space in between them as the dough does spread a little when baking. 

  5. I usually gently push down on them with my thumb to flatten them a bit. 

  6. Brush with egg white and sprinkle pearl sugar on top. 



  7. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes, until the edges have hardened but the middles are still relatively soft.
  8. Remove from the oven and slice the cookies sideways while they are still a bit warm (don't wait until they are cold as they will just break). 



  9. Do not remove them from the baking tray until they are completely cool. 

  10. Ready to serve with a cup of coffee or tea. ☕️ 🫖  




Comments