Swedish Caramel Slices (Kolasnittar)



Here comes SWEDISH COOKIE NUMBER 3 from the "Seven Kinds of Cookies" platter! πŸͺπŸͺπŸͺπŸͺπŸͺπŸͺπŸͺ

They're called "kolasnittar" or "sirapskakor" in Swedish, which means caramel slices/cuts or syrup cookies. I would actually probably call them Caramel Ginger Slices, because the recipe I use includes ginger powder.

I had to write this quickly and take photos VERY quickly, because my husband was standing by the kitchen entrance drooling like a dog trying to get his hands on the whole batch. As soon as I let him in they'll be devoured and gone. πŸ˜‚ So that's my proof to you that these cookies are out of this world!

As we already know, Swedish cookies are the best in the world. And once again I'm sharing with you a recipe that is so easy and quick to bake. I found this recipe in a Swedish recipe book called "A Piece of Cake". It was a gift from my BFF Fia-Lotta and her partner Karolina. Fia-Lotta had been complaining to me for a while that I wasn't up-to-date with modern, Swedish bread and pastries. She accused me of only baking old school recipes from the 50s to the 80s, and that it was time to learn some new stuff. Hence, they gave me this awesome book. Although, these Caramel Slices are not exactly new and modern as they've been around for decades, but maybe updated and "modernised" by adding the ginger...??? 😁 I don't know. But it doesn't matter because they're so delicious.

Enjoy!
πŸ’—Helena

Ingredients (Approx. 30 cookies): 
  • 100 g soft, unsalted butter
  • 1 dl (100 ml) sugar
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup (I use Lyle's Golden Syrup)
  • 2¼ dl (225 ml) plain flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar (powder)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger 


Directions: 
  1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C on the convection setting.
  2. Mix together the butter, sugar and syrup. I use a food processor. 



  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, vanilla sugar and the ginger powder. 




  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. 



  5. Optional: Take out the dough and wrap in plastic film. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or so. 



  6. Divide the dough up into 2-3 equal parts. I usually divide into 3 parts. The thinner the dough, the crispier the cookies. 


  7. Roll out each ball into 3 long cylinder shaped sticks (finger thick) and put them on a baking tray with parchment paper. Make sure there is space in between them as the dough does spread when baking. 


  8. Gently push down on them with your thumb to flatten them a bit. Then use a fork to make lines in them. 





  9. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes.
  10. Remove from the oven and slice the cookies sideways while they are still a bit warm (don't wait until they are cold as they will just break). Let the cookies cool on the baking tray. 





  11. As always during Swedish "fika" time, serve them with a cup of black coffee or a cafΓ© au lait. ☕️ 






Comments