Keto-Friendly Omelette Burrito


This Omelette Burrito is not only easy to prepare, it’s healthy, delicious and KETO-FRIENDLY! 🥳 

With the goal of losing a little post-COVID lockdown weight, I decided to give the Keto diet a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find that cutting the carbs was not as much of an issue as I had expected it to be. HOWEVER, it was cutting back on SUGAR - the drug I so much depend on to get me through the day, 🤪 that I found the most difficult to cut back.  

I would literally dream about Helena’s Swedish cookies, Caroline’s lemon cake, chocolate fountains and even bananas or any sweet forbidden fruit (according to the Keto rule book) all day long. It almost drove me to hysteria! 😆 But, after about a week, I slowly began to gain an energy I hadn’t had within me for years!! Somehow, even if I hadn’t had a good night’s sleep, I was able to power through the day comfortably, and was amazed by how my body reacted to the diet. 

It definitely proved to be very rewarding, though challenging for me (as I was born with a sweet tooth), as it did help me drop some weight rather quickly. Perhaps the 3rd most beneficial result I got out of the diet (aside from weight loss and increased energy levels), was learning about the countless possibilities and creative recipes that replaced carbs with a variety of common, as well as less common ingredients - notably EGGS! Which tends to be the popular choice it seems… lucky for me, I LOVE eggs in any shape or form. 🥚 🍳  

After having sifted through endless Keto recipes (thankfully there are so many great ones out there!), one in particular caught my attention.  The omelette burrito… such a simple yet clever idea! 


So here is my take on this brilliant creation by whoever made it first…  shout out to whoever that is!! 🥳 


The omelette obviously replaces the wheat based tortilla, and the stuffing is simply a mix of healthy veggies tossed up in a vinaigrette. Quick, healthy and extremely easy to make! 


Serves: 1 - 2

INGREDIENTS:

3 eggs

30 gms grated Gouda cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 tbsp Olive oil 

1 tsp butter 

 

1/2 yellow bell pepper (chopped)

1 small green bell pepper (chopped)

Cherry tomatoes (chopped)

3 sprigs spring onion (finely chopped)


DRESSING: 

1/2 garlic clove (crushed) 

1.5 tbsp olive oil 

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

Pepper to taste


METHOD:

  1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan (28 - 30 cm) over medium heat.
  2. Whisk 3 eggs together with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Pour egg mixture into the pan and turn the pan so the egg covers the entire surface and sprinkle grated Gouda cheese on top.  
  4. Cover and decrease the heat to low. Allow to cook until the top of the omelette is almost dry (around 1.5 mins). 
  5. Slide onto a large flat plate and reserve to the side, allowing the omelette to cool slightly. 
  6. In a medium bowl, combine both bell peppers, tomatoes and spring onion and toss with the ingredients of the dressing until well mixed.
  7. With the omelette in front of you, spoon the mixture onto the omelette and then roll the lower half of the omelette over the mixture and continue to roll into the shape of a burrito.
  8. Slice it in half , and serve with a side of green salad. 

Let us know in the comments what your favorite Keto breakfast is! I'm still learning and would love any suggestions! 🥰


Don’t forget to subscribe and follow us on Instagram: @universal_moms!! ❤️ 


Bon Appetit! En Guete! Guten Appetit! Buon Appetito! Itadakimasu! 


Gastronomically yours, 💖 Pia



Comments