Asian Chicken Meatballs in Hoisin Sauce



When we were in Stockholm visiting my parents this summer, my mom made these super delicious Asian meatballs for dinner one evening. Now you might ask "How come you're not sharing a Swedish meatball recipe with us?". Good point! I definitely need to post my parents' authentic Swedish meatball recipe in the near future. I promise. But this Asian version was sooooo good, and my son Santiago begged me to make them the other day.

Whenever I think of chicken meatballs, I think of Japanese yakitori (chicken pieces on a skewer grilled over a charcoal fire), which is one of my favorite Japanese cuisines. FYI, Japanese cuisine is so much more than just sushi and sashimi. However, these meatballs are not yakitori style as they are not grilled and they include coriander. Pia, sorry, I know you hate coriander, so just ignore that ingredient when you make these. And Caroline, I don't know what to tell you, I guess you can try and substitute the chicken with tofu, or just go ahead and make the chicken version for your 4 boys. They will love them! 😁

Enjoy! 💗Helena


INGREDIENTS (Approx. 20 big meatballs):

  • MEATBALLS
    • 800 grams minced chicken meat
    • Scallion, 1 stalk
    • 3 cm freshly, grated ginger
    • 1.5 teaspoons salt
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper
    • ½ teaspoon chili powder
    • ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
    • 1 bunch finely chopped coriander
    • 2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
    • 1.5 tablespoons sesame oil
    • 200 ml panko/normal breadcrumbs (I use panko)
    • 2 eggs
    • Sesame seeds for garnish 

  • GLAZE
    • 125 ml hoisin sauce
    • 50 ml raw sugar (I used light brown sugar)
    • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    • 50 ml Japanese soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
    • ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
    • 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (Optional) 

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
  2. Finely chop the coriander and scallion (save some for garnish). 
  3. Grate the ginger.
  4. Mix the vegetables with the minced chicken meat in a bowl 
     


  5. Add salt and the other spices to the mixture. 


  6. Add the eggs and the breadcrumbs. 


  7. Mix in the soy sauce and the sesame oil. 


  8. Mix until everything comes together, but don't over-mix it as the meatballs will then become dry. 
  9. Put the meatball mix in the fridge while you prepare the glaze.
  10. Glaze: Mix all the ingredients in a pan and bring to boil. Let it boil for 4-5 minutes until it has thickened and reduced to half the amount. 


  11. Roll the meatballs. 

  12. Fry in oil (I use peanut oil) until they get a nice color. 


  13. Put the meatballs in the oven for approximately 10-12 minutes. 

  14. Remove from oven and pour the hoisin glaze on top of the meatballs. Then return to oven for another 2-3 minutes so that it all settles. 

  15. Remove from oven and sprinkle sesame seeds, coriander and scallion. 

  16. Ready to be served along with Asian rice, such as Jasmin rice. 

Comments