POTATO SALAD


 

My parents are in Lisbon visiting us right now. Every time they come I have a huge wish list of Swedish food ingredients that I ask them to bring: Lingonberry jam, pickles, sugar syrup, baker's ammonia, bitter almonds, pearl sugar, cheese, salami, potato chips, candy, you name it! This time my mom brought some bags of fresh, Swedish new potatoes. Fact: Sweden has the best potatoes in the world. My boys don't even like potatoes, but they LOVE Swedish potatoes. 

I wasn't sure what to do with the potatoes, but they came in handy this past weekend when we went to a farm in the Alentejo countryside to enjoy a wonderful potluck picnic lunch with my son Santiago's 4th grade class. My mom suggested I make her traditional potato salad. Another fact: Swedish potato salad is the best in the world. 😁 Proof: Everyone loved and praised my dish at the luncheon. 🙌

So go make this delicious salad now! You won't be disappointed. Caroline, it's vegetarian friendly of course! 😘

Enjoy! 💗Helena


INGREDIENTS:

  • 700-800 grams new potatoes, cut into smaller chunks
  • 1 leek, finely sliced
  • 1-1½ tablespoon capers, with a bit of the brine
  • Dressing:
    • 200 ml sour cream
    • 100 ml mayonnaise
    • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ⅛-¼ teaspoon black or white pepper 


DIRECTIONS:

  1. Boil the potatoes and let them cool down. Cut them up into small chunks. I prefer to keep the skin on, but it's optional. 

  2. Finely slice the leek.
  3. Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. 



  4. Mix the potatoes, leek and capers in a large bowl. 


  5. Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix carefully so that the potatoes chunks don't break too much. 


  6. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge for 6-24 hours before serving.
  7. Serve chilled with, for example, roast beef or grilled chicken.  



Comments