SAUSAGE "MCMUFFIN" WITH EGG


My niece and nephews came over from London this August and with them they brought me English muffins! I had been craving them so much as I recently saw a breakfast sausage patties recipe on America's Test Kitchen's Instagram page. It reminded me of my favorite McDonald's burger from my childhood in Hong Kong – the Sausage McMuffin with Egg! 🍔 I then decided it was time to seriously research this delicious dish and found Recipe Tin Eats's "Homemade Sausage and Egg McMuffin". However, if you live in Portugal, like I do, then it's impossible to find English muffins at the supermarket. But don't despair! You can find recipes online to make them from scratch at home. 

Here is my recipe below – a merger between the America's Test Kitchen and Recipe Tin Eats recipes. Oh, and by the way, ignore the look of my eggs. I totally destroyed that part because I didn't read the recipe. I thought you just put the ring in the pan and cracked the egg inside of it. But no, that's not how you do it! So when you make these, make sure to follow the recipe on how to fry an egg using an egg ring (which I didn't have and which is why I desperately (and unsuccessfully) used a gingerbread cookie cutter in the shape of a Swedish Christmas goat).😭😂 The dish turned out amazing though. My boys loved them!

Enjoy! 💗Helena


INGREDIENTS:

SAUSAGE PATTIES (12 patties):

  • 1 kilo ground pork
  • 2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1½ teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
  • English muffins
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Eggs 


DIRECTIONS:

SAUSAGE PATTIES:

  1. Using your hands, gently mix pork, sage, maple syrup, thyme, pepper, salt, garlic, and cayenne until well combined. Divide meat mixture into 12 lightly packed balls, then gently flatten into 3-inch patties, about ½ inch thick. (Patties can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.) 

     

  2. Heat 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. 
  3. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until just smoking. Brown half of patties, 3-5 minutes per side.  


  4. Transfer patties to paper towel–lined plate and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
  5. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
MUFFINS AND CHEESE:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 130°C/275°F. Place muffins on a baking tray, cut side up, and top with cheese. 


EGGS:
  1. Heat another pan over medium high heat with 1 tbsp oil. 
  2. Spray egg rings with oil and place in the skillet. 
  3. Crack egg into the rings. 
  4. Add around 2 tbsp water into the skillet, then cover with a lid. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until egg is cooked to your liking. 
  5. The photo below is of what NOT to do 😂: 

Here is my final product (with the ugly egg): 

And here is my sister's. She used a proper egg ring AND followed the instructions: 

Comments