TIA ISABEL'S RED CABBAGE SALAD


We have recently started to cut down on the carbs during dinner time in my household. So to compensate, I've been making different kinds of veggies as side dishes (or "acompanhamentos" as they're called in Portuguese). A perfect alternative to rice, potatoes and pasta is a cabbage based salad. Now, I'm not a diet expert so if cabbage happens to be a carb, PLEASE DO NOT tell me, because I'm really enjoying these "healthier" meals of mine. 😄

The recipe I'm sharing with you today is my mother-in-law Isabel's red cabbage salad. I believe it's her own creation and it's super delicious!

Enjoy! 💗Helena


INGREDIENTS:

  • ½ red cabbage, shredded
  • ½ Savoy cabbage, shredded (or just use an entire red cabbage)
  • ⅓ to ½ cup raisins (I prefer small Corinthians)
  • 3 red Gala (Alcobaça) apples, chopped
  • ⅓ to ½ cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 jar of beet roots, chopped (keep liquid for sauce)
  • Sauce:
    • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    • Jar liquid
    • Optional: 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt 

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Shred the cabbage. 

  2. Chop up the apples and walnuts. 


  3. Chop up the beet root (make sure to keep the liquid in the jar for the sauce!). 

  4. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. 
  5. Add the raisins. 

  6. To make the sauce, mix the mayonnaise with the beet root liquid. Add plain yoghurt if you feel like it.
  7. Add sauce to bowl and mix it all together. 

  8. Ready to serve! 



Comments